Sunday, September 11, 2011

How do we get there from here?

Raumtweet (an author and teacher in Italy) found me via my sister Holly, also an author and avid tweeter...I'm trying to learn the whole tweet thing...I'm more of a Facebooker.

Raumtweet tweets me "In 2 weeks, I'd say, from North to South: Venezia (2 days), Firenze (2 days) Assisi (1 day) Roma (5 days), Naples (2 days), Sicily (3 days)". What would you recommend if we had 3 weeks?

Hmmmm. Thanks Raum...I love how you broke it down for us by days...and I will be drilling down into each of your suggestions in blog updates and welcome any and all suggestions/insights.

Quickly checking the airfare compare sites on the web...it looks like flying into Venice with a starting point of Tampa, FL will be between $1800 - $2400 (US) per person. Flying to Rome would be approximately $1500-$2200 per person. Any hints on finding the best airfares will be greatly appreciated.


Venezia - Venice...sounds like a wonderful place for Voskuils to start their Italian adventure.

Venezia
Is it possible to have the "historical" experience with the "real life" experience? 

For example, the Grand Canal,  Public transport is provided by water buses (Italian: vaporetti) and private water taxis, and many tourists explore the canal by gondola.  Travelling by "Vaporetti"  (learned a new Italian word!)  would feel more "local" perhaps?


While I love history and architecture, the idea of spending hours of precious time in Italy standing in queues in large groups of tourists is not for me.  When my dad and I visited the Capital building in Washington DC, we were fortunate to have a friend of a friend who was a Capital Guard give us our tour.  Can we have that kind of familial touch in Italy?


If you have been to Venice, I would love to see your pictures, videos, stories and suggestions for the best way to spend 2-3 days there. 


What art the top 3 sites that are "Musts!"
What about a top cultural experience...opera? art museum (Peggy Guggenheim? http://www.guggenheim.org/venice)
Hotel or Bed & Breakfast? 
Best places to eat?  What to eat?


Thank you for reading and sharing and dreaming with me.

2 comments:

  1. Like I say...me driving and you giving directions..... perhaps a Kayak in Venice?

    ReplyDelete
  2. To find cheap flights, I use www.skyscanner.com.

    Just an advice: Italy is small compared to the US or to Canada, and train is the cheapest way to get around here. So I'd look for a flight toward a big city in Italy (intercontinental flight usually arrive in Milan or Rome) and I'd use a train from there toward my final destination, instead of an internal flight, which would be more expensive.

    Good luck! If you have any other question, here I am!

    Raum (RaumTweet on Twitter)

    ReplyDelete